You won’t believe how easy it is to make this yummy buttery & chocolaty, vanilla scented goodness. Looking at those muffins in bakeries and coffee shops I always thought that I will never be able to recreate this recipe. But I assure you that this is the easiest recipe which does not require any fancy ingredients or gadgets at all. The only important thing is a muffin tray and you will have these gorgeous muffins at your table in no time!
I recommend using a wooden spoon to mix the batter as it gives it a lovely texture and also the quantity is so small that you don’t want to dirty and wash any more dishes and tools that you essentially have to!
I used a medium sized muffin tray and ended up making 10 medium sized muffins. I did not fill the paper cups up to the top so they did not get that classic muffin shape. If you fill them right you would get about 8 medium sized muffins. If you change the size of the muffins then baking time will vary accordingly.
Lets look at the ingredients needed:
All purpose flour (maida) 3/4 cup
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Butter 100 grams
Sugar 1/3 cup
Vanilla Essence 1 tsp
Semi sweet chocolate chips 1/4 cup and some extra for topping
Use butter and eggs at room temperature. If refrigerated bring out 30 minutes before starting the prep. Use fine sugar. If your sugar is coarse I recommend to powder it in a grinder. Make sure to measure before powdering the sugar.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla essence just a little.
- Cream the butter in a bowl using a wooden spoon or spatula until its smooth. I have used salted butter and there wasn’t any extra salty taste at all. You can use unsalted if you prefer.
- Add sugar and mix together until creamy and fluffy.
- Then add eggs and vanilla mixture a little at a time to avoid curdling.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder in three parts to avoid a lumpy batter.
- Do not over-mix. When the batter is silky smooth, add chocolate chips. I store my chocolate chips in fridge to avoid melting in this hot weather. Its also easy to handle them when they are hard. If you are using sweet chocolate chips then I would suggest not to sprinkle any extra on top as you will end up with really sweet muffins.
- Divide the batter equally into the muffin tray. Don’t forget to grease the tray or its better to use paper liners as it makes the cleaning part easy afterwards!
Use 2 spoons to fill the cups as the batter will be quite thick. Or use an ice-cream scoop if you have one. Smooth out the batter and tap the tray on the counter a couple of times to release any air bubbles trapped inside. Sprinkle some extra chocolate chips for a nice look.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Rotate the tray once at half time. Enjoy fresh!
You can use this recipe as a base to create a lot of different versions. You can avoid chocolate chips all together and add dry fruits, nuts or even fresh berries etc.